We celebrate the season, big milestones, and final thoughts on bamboo
Greetings PM Family,
We know how everyone loves good news, and we start with some good news for many in the US: daylight savings time begins, and we “Spring Forward” by one hour on Sunday, March 10!
Okay, some may not consider this good news, but the promise of springtime, a season of renewal and that winter will not last forever is a good thing. We can agree that part of spring forward is good news. We have more good news in this edition of the newsletter. Today we profile the home of PM19, celebrate an exciting milestone for one of our PM family members, share some industry and community updates, and close out with a final thought on Bamboo!
Let's save some daylight time and get this edition of the newsletter started.
The most BEAUTIFUL Podcast Movement yet deserves its own gif!
We know that while Spring is the theme of this newsletter, our friends in the northeast have woken up to weather in the teens, there's snow falling in the northwest, and folks in the midwest have weeks-old snow that has yet to melt. While we can't help the weather outside, we CAN warm your hearts with a preview of the home of PM19!
The Rosen Shingle Creek is widely thought of as the top resort in Orlando, and we definitely think it's the most beautiful venue to ever host a Podcast Movement. In only a handful of months from now, over 3,000 of you reading this will be there with us, so we thought now would be a great time to share more. You'll enjoy:
- A 255 acre luxury hotel along Shingle Creek, the headwater of the everglades
- 18 hole award winning golf course
- Four outdoor swimming pools, two lit tennis courts, a basketball court and a sand volleyball court
- 15 dining options all under one roof (you might never want to leave!)
- Four days of the world's best podcasting conference and trade show!
We're also very excited for our partnership with this hotel because of the good that the Rosen brand does for the Orlando area. Founder Harris Rosen is one of the most philanthropic people we've ever met, and are proud to call one of his hotels home for 2019. Read more about Harris Rosen and the work he does for the community.
Major Milestone Celebration for a PM Family Member!
We love to celebrate new growth as springtime draws near. We cannot talk about podcast growth, and not also give high praise to PM family member Josie Ong!
Josie Ong is the host and producer of the Affirmation Pod. She has diligently created this innovative and inspiring podcast with a message focused on calm, positivity and self-love needed to live your best life.
Josie has done a fantastic job of not getting caught up in shiny object syndrome. She hasn't tried to “kiss the ring” of the influential people in her niche, but instead has slowly but surely built her show and audience the old fashioned way. She has put the focus on her family (two small children and husband), while still creating the best possible show that she can.
You can imagine Josie's surprise and encouragement when she started to see a recent spike in new listeners, especially when she found out the cause.
Josie reached out to new audience members to find out how they discovered the show. She learned that Gabrielle Union mentioned her podcast in her latest article in the March 2019 edition of Women's Health magazine. She had no idea this would happen!
Josie is a wonderful example of diligence, resilience, and focus on creating a great show. We hope that Josie's example, and this huge win for her and her show, will inspire you to drop the distractions, remain generous, and focus on doing the work to create the best show that you can.
How to Handle the Time Change (with Industry and Community Updates)!
- Hang out with us Saturday Night in Orlando – We'll be at Kings Orlando this Saturday night from 7-9pm, and all podcasters are invited! It's a come and go event, so stop by any time to grab a bite, and hang out with your fellow podcasters.
- Join us in San Diego in two weeks – We're back in San Diego on March 19 at the wonderful Stone Brewing Taproom. Last year nearly 100 podcasters showed up, so get there early to hang out with the Podcast Movement crew, and a hundred of your new closest friends!
- The Apple email blitz from this past week – A lot of folks were concerned about how to interpret these e-mails and upcoming changes regarding episode numbers, etc. James Cridland from Podnews created this article to help the rest of us make sense of it all.
- Spotify taps Liz Gately in podcasting push – The former Lifetime programming executive has joined Spotify as head of creative development. She is expected to help shape the company's original podcasting strategy to offer listeners broader audio programming.
- Katz Media Group Teams With Voxnest – Voxnest President Francesco Baschieri said, “With VAN, we’re eliminating one of the biggest barriers to podcast advertising adoption among many big brands and agencies — it’s simply not “mass” enough. Now, instead of manually purchasing inventory in the few shows that have the listener numbers they’re looking for, advertisers can programmatically purchase impressions from the audiences they want. They’re just across many different shows.”
- Podcast Marketing Strategy: The Podcast Discoverability Triangle – Every podcaster wants to grow their audience and size of their show. Mark Asquith created this epic 5000-word post to help podcasters understand and make progress in increasing their podcasts.
Special thanks to Justin Jackson for sharing this Wumo Comic
A Final Thought on Bamboo
When we think of Spring Forward, it makes us also reflect on the idea of onward and upward. Onward and upward (not to mention Josie Ong's exciting milestone story above) makes us consider podcast growth! PM family member and alumni speaker Dan Miller (48 Days to the Work You Love) shared an interesting perspective recently about Bamboo on his LinkedIn profile.
“Hey, I’m like all of you. I want it all NOW!
However, much to our chagrin, the most important things still take time.
I like the story of the Chinese bamboo tree: You take a little seed, plant it, water it, and fertilize it for a whole year, and nothing happens.
The second year you water it and fertilize it, and nothing happens.
The third year you water it and fertilize it, and nothing happens. How discouraging this becomes!
The fifth-year you continue to water and fertilize the seed and then—take note. Sometime during the fifth year, the Chinese bamboo tree sprouts and grows NINETY FEET IN SIX WEEKS!
Life (and Podcasting) is much akin to the growing process of the Chinese bamboo tree. It is often discouraging. We seemingly do things right, and nothing happens. But for those who do things right and are not discouraged and are persistent, things will happen. Finally, we begin to receive the rewards.
I am now receiving the rewards of seeds planted five years ago. You are as well.
Are you getting the results you want? If not, begin today to sow the seeds of what you want five years from now.
Remember, if you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll get the same results you’ve always received.“
Here's to 90 feet in 6 weeks (or the podcasting growth equivalent)!
Remember to set your clocks forward on Sunday, March 10,
“Can we have Daylight Savings Time change during the podcast editing process? Losing an hour there would be appreciated by many.” – Gary Leland
Interested in sponsoring or exhibiting at Podcast Movement 2019, the world's largest gathering of podcasters? LET US KNOW!