Fathers Day, PM19 Monetization Track, iHeartPodcast Network Party at PM19, Industry/Community Updates and Carpe Diem!
Greetings PM Family,
This week we show our appreciation to all of the fathers out there as we celebrate Father's Day here in the US! We honestly believe and boast that our dads can out-podcast your dads!
Dads are Incredible
We have an incredible number of amazing fathers in this community. Some of them in the traditional sense, and others who “watch over the podcast community” with the care of one. We will acknowledge a few of them, discuss the PM19 Monetization Track, announce the iHeartPodcast Network party at Podcast Movement, review some industry/community updates and close with ”Carpe Diem”!
Podcast Movement has a great appreciation and respect for all parent figures. We understand that some mothers are pulling double duty as a parent, some dads are flying solo, and oftentimes there are other family members or friends play the role of the dad. We appreciate your contributions to your family!
Even as we celebrate this holiday, we also want to extend a lot of love and gratitude to our community members who do not have children, either by choice or otherwise. We recognize you, and you are valued and belong in this community.
The Cool Dads
Our team loves to shine the spotlight on members of the community. We can't highlight all the amazing dads, but here are a few podcasts from dads in the PM family.
- Ravi Jayagopal – Cool Cast Player
- Jeremiah Michael Stewart – The Fanitarium Podcast
- Matthew Passy – The Podcast Consultant
- Sean Michael Van Buren – Tha Fly Trap
- Bryan Entzminger – Engaging Missions
- Ryan M. Esquivel – Esquivelio
- Bob SoloMan – Metal and Mortgages
- Vernon Ross – The Social Strategy Podcast
- Meron Bareket – Inspiring Innovation
- Bryan Orr – HVAC School
- Stephen Hart – Trailblazers.FM
PM19 Monetization Track: Presented By Triton Digital
“Money doesn't grow on trees.” – Dad
Dad was right about money not growing on trees. Fortunately for podcasters in 2019, our industry does have some clear strategies and opportunities to generate income for your show. The Monetization Track at PM19 covers all of this from niche targeting, ads, crowdfunding, selling products and services, live touring, merch and more!
We are proud to have Triton Digital as the sponsor for this year's Monetization Track at PM19. Make sure to thank them for making this valuable track possible!
Triton Digital® is the global technology and services leader to the digital audio and podcast industry. Operating in more than 40 countries, Triton provides innovative technology that enables broadcasters, podcasters, and online music services to build their audience, maximize their revenue, and streamline their day-to-day operations. In addition, Triton powers the global online audio industry with Webcast Metrics®, the leading online audio measurement service. With unparalleled integrity, excellence, teamwork, and accountability, Triton remains committed to connecting audio, audience, and advertisers to continuously fuel the growth of the global online industry. Triton Digital is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP). For more information, visit www.TritonDigital.com.
What speakers are featured on the Monetization Track, and what will their topics be? Here is a sample of those already announced:
- “Structuring Your Podcast as a Business Asset” presented by Delania Barbee from Practicing While Black.
- “Independents Day: Make A Living Making Your Independent Podcast” presented by Patrick Hinds from True Crime Obsessed.
- “Funded Before Launch: A Tale of a Reluctant Podcaster” presented by Tonya Rapley from Color Full Lives.
- “Levels to This: Handling Product Endorsements and Sponsorship Deals on the Right Side of the Law” presented by Casey Handy-Smith from Unspoken Terms.
- “Data Driven Best Practices for Effective Ad Reads” presented by Paul Riismandel and Sophie Anderson from Midroll.
- “How To Use Data To Monetize Your Podcast” presented by Sarah Cotenoff (from Podsights), Heather Osgood (from True Native Media) and Jordan Harbinger (from the Jordan Harbinger Show).
- “Podcast Advertising 360” presented by Rockie Thomas (from Media Creek), Thomas Mancusi (Audioboom), Jenni Skaug (Sonic Influencer Marketing) and Patrick Hinds (True Crime Obsessed)
- “How Barstool Sports sells Podcasts in a Full Funnel” presented by Deirdre Lester from Barstool Sports and Marshall Williams from Ad Results Media
We have only scratched the surface! We have more sessions that are not ready to be announced, but coming soon! We will release the full PM19 schedule next week, letting you know when and where to find these sessions, as well as panels, breakouts and workshops available on other tracks/stages in the very near future.
iHeartPodcast Network Party at PM19 at Tin Roof Orlando!
Good dads are known for being reliable. You can always count on them to be there for you. The social gatherings at Podcast Movement have proven to do that as well. We are excited to partner with iHeart to bring you the biggest party of the year, possibly all time, at PM19 this summer!
When? Thursday, August 15 from 7 pm to 11 pm.
Where? Tin Roof Orlando
What to Expect? The biggest and the best party of the year! Right around the corner from Rosen Shingle Creek, and we'll have busses getting you there and back safely!
Talk is cheap though. We subscribe to the “seeing is believing” philosophy. You can see for yourself in this video from the big party at PM18.
Industry and Community Updates
- Join us on the PM Mini Meetup Tour – We are touring the Southeast US this week! The meetup in Birmingham last night was incredible! Please join us if you are near Nashville, Atlanta or Charlotte. If you can't make, please encourage your podcast friends in the area to join us! Info:
- PM19 Scholarships are available – You can learn more about them here. You must complete the online application no later than Friday, June 14, 2019. Podcast Movement will announce the recipients in the June 19 edition of the newsletter and in our Facebook group.
- Spotify lands exclusive podcast deal with Barack and Michelle Obama – Article published via NBC news – Landing the former first couple is a major win as the podcast industry grows and the fight for rights to premium shows and creators becomes more contentious.
- NASA Extends a Generous Invite to a Few PM19 Attendees – Our friends at NASA have offered to host some PM19 attendees at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center for a behind-the-scenes tour of the facility and one-on-one interviews with NASA researchers. It will be an epic, full-day event and take place right before conference. Here are the details:
- Date: Monday, August 12
- Location: NASA’s Kennedy Space Center
- Apply for free here
The Force is Strong with this One…
A Man named Marvin
I (Jared) was 10 years old when I last had the opportunity to speak with my father. Marvin loved broadcasting. He was big into ham radio, when that was a thing.
He had a masters degree, and taught communications at the university level. He interviewed presidents. He covered all of the top news stories as a journalist in various roles throughout his career in radio and television.
He was the General Manager for a small radio station in Montgomery, AL when he passed in 1989. I know that if my dad were still living that he would love podcasting, and the amazing opportunities now available in new media.
He had a great laugh. I remember him cracking up while watching the movie the Blues Brothers. He also liked movies like the Pink Panther. He was always learning and doing his best to help others.
I wish that I could talk to my dad and discuss things that are happening in my life. He would be so happy to see this amazing podcast community.
Unfortunately, I am not able to have these conversations with him now. I know that a number of you can relate to this. We've had many wonderful extended family members pass in our community.
Each day we have an opportunity to love our families, friends, podcast listeners and communities. Seize the day and make each moment count. If you still have the relationship and opportunity, don't miss the chance to tell your father that you love him…and everyone else important to you in your life for that matter. And from a podcast perspective, we hope that you will continue to love your audiences, and continue to deliver your best to them.
Have a great Father's Day weekend!
“Anyone who tells you fatherhood is the greatest thing that can happen to you, they are understating it.” – Mike Myers
Interested in sponsoring or exhibiting at Podcast Movement 2019, the world's largest gathering of podcasters? LET US KNOW!