We're excited to jump into this week's issue, which features information on PM hosting Infinite Dial at Evolutions this March as well as the winners of the PodMov Daily newsletter's RØDE Holiday Giveaway. Also included are podcasting events happening this week that we think you'll enjoy.
Note: The Weekly will be taking a break for the holidays and will return on Wednesday, January 5.
PM EVENT NEWS
In case you missed the big news last week, The Infinite Dial will take place live at Evolutions, this March 23-26 in Los Angeles.
The Infinite Dial is America’s longest-running survey of digital media consumer behavior in America, created by Edison Research and tracked annually since 1998. This year’s report revealed that 80 million Americans listen to podcasts weekly, that podcasts are reaching their most diverse audience ever, and much more.
Some thoughts from Edison’s SVP Tom Webster, who will be presenting the results:
“We tried to get Infinite Dial in front of a live audience in March of 2020, but history intervened at the last minute. Two years later, with the help of Podcast Movement, Edison Research is delighted to be able to realize this vision, and we can’t wait to see you all in LA as we reveal the very latest stats for the podcast industry and beyond.”
The PodMov Daily RØDE Holiday Giveaway has officially ended. Thank you all for sharing the newsletter!
Congratulations to these three lucky subscribers, who will each receive a shiny new RØDE PSA1+ Studio Boom Arm:
- Tony Doe is the creator and host of The Tony Doe Podcast, a series of chats with radio broadcasters from different backgrounds about their radio stories and how they feel about the ever-changing medium.
- Cassidy Villebrun-Buracas is an award-winning Dehcho Dene, Cree-Metis podcaster, and is the host of Dene Talk, a podcast that tells the stories of Indigenous people and contemporary stores of Indigenous life.
- James Blueweiss is the Head of Media Business Development & Strategic Partnerships for Audioburst. James is also the founder of Kismet Media Group and serves as a communications advisor to the UN’s global food waste campaign.
PODCAST MOVEMENT UNIVERSITY
PMU will be back with weekly live presentations and content in January. We'll be making some updates during our holiday off, so keep an eye out for a 2022 refresh.
If you're not yet a member, you can join here for free.
It's impossible to know where you will end up when starting something new. Last week, we asked the PM community on Twitter what they would want their pre-podcast self to know about the future of their show. Shoutout to Dionne Sanchez of Words of Heart for being featured in a podcast magazine.
Want to be in the spotlight? Join the PM community conversations on Twitter and share your perspective.
GOING ON THIS WEEK
Here's a look at what's happening in the podcasting world this week:
- Today at 2:00 pm ET, “Super Listeners 2021” will reveal an in-depth analysis of those who listen to five or more hours of podcasts weekly. The third annual webinar will be presented by Edison Research, iHeartMedia, and Ad Results Media. Free registration.
- Also happening today at 4:00 pm ET is “Building an Editorial Vision,” from Podcasting, Seriously. Held on Twitter Spaces, the organization’s third weekly meetup will feature a conversation with Amy S. Choi (The Mash-Up Americans, Sunstorm). No account needed to join.
- The final entry deadline for the 26th Annual Webby Awards is this Friday. The newly expanded podcast category welcomes general series as well as individual episodes, limited series, and features. Find submission details, categories, and past winners here.
- Cool gig alert: Snap Judgment is seeking two Story Scouts for its spin-off podcast, Spooked. Responsibilities include finding pitches and identifying good resources. This is a fully remote contract position with a compensation of $1,500 monthly + bonuses.
PODMOV DAILY: INDUSTRY NEWS FOR CREATORS
‘Textcasting’ in 2006 and the Cycle of Change – News podcasts’ failing revenue-first strategy; Adweek’s ‘Podcast Innovator of the Year’; The Podcast Host’s first translated articles; Edit Mode: Story Editor Training is back
Industry Leaders Predict Podcasting's Near Future – Plus: Reaching podcast app subscribers on YouTube; 100 certified-gold podcast marketing tips
iHeartPodcast Employees Have Unionized – Plus: Courtroom podcasting is true crime at its best; Listener feedback lessons from Sam Sanders; Misha Euceph’s advice for “Starting Out”
Thank you for tuning into this week's newsletter and for your constant support of Podcast Movement. We hope you have a peaceful holiday break and a happy new year!
Don't forget – The Weekly will be on holiday break until Wednesday, January 5.
See you in the new year,
The Podcast Movement Team