Hey PM Family, we trust that you are enjoying an October filled with lots of treats and not too many tricks!
This week, we're highlighting some industry news from our PodMov daily newsletter. Want to sign up? Click HERE!
You'll get to know several PM community members celebrating unique wins or who have exciting opportunities coming up. We'll also share more about the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles, which is the home venue of the PM Evolutions event this February 12 – 15!
Oh yeah, did we mention that speaker submissions are now open for PM Evolutions? Let's get to it!
The Daily PodMov newsletter continues to keep our community informed with the latest news in the industry
Here are a few highlights from the PodMov newsletter that are worth checking out if you haven't already:
Trilingual Podcasting – Mija Podcast: Lory Martinez on the Love of Language
Lory Martinez, founder and CEO of Paris-based Studio Ochenta is an inspiringly busy creator. Making audio stories in different languages is a clear calling for the trilingual podcaster. PM caught up with Martinez to discuss one particularly unique and groundbreaking show: Mija podcast, which hit #1 in the in fiction charts in France and Spain on October 7.
Peeking Behind the Curtain – Grazi for the Real Talk: 5 Podcast Creation Experts
Madeleine Spencer, the creator of the podcast Beauty Full Lives, believes that “the best podcasts make you feel like you’re listening in on someone’s conversation, like a peek behind a curtain.” Spencer should know — she’s one of 5 innovative and successful women podcasters profiled by Arianna Chatzidakis for Grazi.
We continue to share excellent features every morning and would love to send them your way. Click HERE to check it out!
PM Mini Documentaries
Members of the PM Community took time to let us record talks with them this past August at Podcast Movement 2019, and we're excited to be featuring those this month on our official YouTube Channel.
Check out these from Heneka Watkis-Porter and Dave Cross, and we'll be adding more each week.
Podcast Movement enjoyed working with Creators Group again this year, thanks to them for their hard work, and for the community or sharing your stories!
A Few Interesting Facts about the PM Evolutions Venue
Podcast Movement is excited to bring the first year of the Evolutions event this February to the iconic Millennium Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The venue has a rich history and several interesting facts. We will share a few facts about the hotel over the next few newsletters (in case you didn't already know). You will not want to miss this new event at such a historical and classic venue.
- The Beaux-arts building has served as the background for iconic American films like Chinatown, Ghostbusters, and Wedding Crashers. Among its many claims to fame, the Biltmore has also made debuts in Mad Men episodes, Taylor Swift music videos, American Idol finales, and Grammy Award after-parties.
- In 1927, over 300 leaders in the film industry gathered in the Biltmore’s iconic Crystal Ballroom for the second-ever Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Awards (The Oscars).
Between 1935 and the onset of World War II, the Millennium Biltmore Hotel hosted several Academy Awards Shows. It welcomed thousands of Tinseltown celebrities, including Bette Davis, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Jimmy Stewart, Claudette Colbert, Joan Fontaine, and Ginger Rogers, Walt Disney, and Shirley Temple.
** Community Updates! **
- The presentations from Podcast Movement's Ignite event are available. You can watch them here. Special thanks to emcee Eric Rosenburg and the team at Freshbooks for making this possible.
- Huge Congratulations to Nick Loper for recently reaching 10 million downloads for the Side Hustle Nation podcast. Nick is an excellent example of generosity, patience, resilience, and true grit. It only took six and a half years to get this many downloads. We can't wait to see what the next several years have in store for Nick. Please consider giving him a virtual high five.
- Ant McGinley is a massive supporter of Podcast Movement. He and some other podcast community members are putting together a one-day Podcasting event in Manchester, England, this Saturday! We wish Ant and the rest of the crew the best with their Pods Up North event!
- Our friends at Westwood One released the results from its latest podcast study. The network has been conducting what it calls the “Podcast Download” study for the last three years. The study found that more women are tuning in to podcasts, events are becoming more prominent, and listeners prefer host-read ads. Here are all the details.
- Did you know that the Podcast Movement Facebook Community now has over 26,000 members? Please celebrate with us by sharing your podcast in the comments of this celebratory post.
Thank you for being a part of this fantastic community. We appreciate your participation as our combined efforts to continue creating events and resources will help everyone in the industry grow.
“All our dreams can come true if we dare to pursue them.” – Walt Disney