This is a weekly newsletter for Podcast Movement event and community updates. For more industry-focused daily news, subscribe to the PodMov Daily here.
Greetings everybody and welcome back to the PM Weekly Newsletter!
Notice anything new? We've added a fresh coat of paint to the Weekly, along with new sections that will keep you up to date on event news and what's going on in the podcasting world.
Speaking of which – we're partnering with The Webby Awards for the first of their Virtual Talks, “Way Too New.” Today at 2:00 pm CT, PM President and Co-Founder Dan Franks and The Webby Awards Managing Director Rithesh Menon will dive into building more impactful experiences across the internet, podcasts, and beyond. Free registration.
We're back this week to share some event deadlines and news with you, and will return to our regular weekly schedule in mid-November.
PM EVENT NEWS AND DEADLINES
Have you submitted to speak at Podcast Movement Evolutions this March 23-26? If not, there's still time! Submissions will be accepted until THIS SUNDAY NIGHT, with decisions made in mid-December. Submit your proposal here.
Evolutions is all about the growing, changing landscape of audio and podcasting. Bring your best ideas related to new tools, technology, and industry developments, and we hope to see you onstage. Check the full site for more details.
The free 28-Day Podcast Launch Challenge sponsored by Buzzsprout returns next month. Get that podcast idea off the ground and launched in just 28 days. Members will receive daily tasks, access to a private community, and a chance to win a free pass to a PM event! Join the challenge now…IT STARTS MONDAY MORNING!
PODCAST MOVEMENT UNIVERSITY
This section is for Podcast Movement University news and upcoming events. If you have not joined PMU, you can join here for free. Note: Must be a member in order to watch live presentation recordings.
- Last week, Squadcast.fm's Co-Founder and CEO, Zachariah Moreno, joined us for a live presentation on the ever-changing world of remote recording and where it's going next. You can watch the full recording here.
- Josh Cary of Hidden Entrepreneur also joined us last week for a live presentation. Josh covered what it takes to become the best podcast guest ever and shared his personal stories of success. You can watch the full recording here.
Coming up this week:
Using Twitter to Grow Your Show – Jay Clouse of the Creative Elements podcast joins us tomorrow at 9:30 am CT for a live presentation on growing your show by using Twitter.
It's important to set goals for your podcast! Last week, we asked our PM community members on Twitter about their short-term goals. Shoutout to The Monarch Experience for catering to students with schedule-friendly episodes.
Want to be in the spotlight? Join the PM community conversations on Twitter and share your perspective.
GOING ON THIS WEEK
Here's a look at what's happening in the podcasting world this week:
- Tomorrow at 12:00 pm PT/3:00 pm ET, SoundPath will host “Making 99% Invisible” with producer Chris Berube. Attendees will get tips on how to tell visual stories in audio. Tickets are $10 for non-AIR members.
- Also happening tomorrow, Pod People's “Sound Design Summoning” will ~summon~ a foley artist and digital sound designer to share secrets on creating the sonic world of a podcast + a sound design scoring challenge! Begins at 7:00 pm ET. Free registration.
- The 26th annual Webby Awards early entry deadline is this Friday. For those interested in entering their podcast, check out the eligibility, guidelines, and fees page.
- The X Fronts will take place tomorrow from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm ET. Get ready for a full day of virtual presentations from indie networks, podcasters, and fresh voices who will expand your thinking about the possibilities of podcasting. Free registration.
- Job alert: Studio Ochenta is looking for a freelance production manager to help coordinate projects over the next six months. Candidate must be bilingual in Spanish/English. Email your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Planning on applying to a media/journalism awards program?
The Podcasting, Seriously Awards Fund from LWC Studios helps cover submission fees for independent BIPOC, Queer, and Trans audio producers.
PODMOV DAILY: INDUSTRY NEWS FOR CREATORS
The Art of Asking Listeners for Money – Plus: How social audio can do better from the start; October's Webby Talk with PM President Dan Franks; Know your show on every app
(At Least) One Solution for Podcasters on Facebook – Plus: Crafting a podcast’s brand experience; The X Fronts for indie podcasts; the Africa Podfest Discovery Tour stops in Kenya; “Making 99% Invisible” from SoundPath
Spotify Expands Video Podcasting to Anchor – Plus: Vox Media’s “gorgeous” visual podcast; Podchaser adds a top-50 leaderboard; Make your target audience fall in love; Afros & Audio Podcast Festival is November 13-14
Takeaways from Facebook's Podcast Team – Plus: For a stronger edit, cut the BS; How will Google Podcasts and YouTube combine?; Spotify artists can sell merch directly; The New York Times’ audio app experiment
That covers this week's updates and deadlines. Don't forget, we'll be back to our regular weekly schedule next month.
Until next time,
The Podcast Movement Team